Friday (October 11th) is my best friends thirty-eighth birthday.
We’ve been through a lot together… you and I… the expression “married the minute we met” fits us so perfectly…because of our smalls and our devotion to them… because we thought of them first.
Sometimes I worry you think I married you for the children… but it is very important to me you know that You are my rock… my best friend… my lover… my hero… the love of my life.
Below are thirty-eight of the infinite number of reasons why.
I love you because:
- You make me feel safe;
- You listen to your heart;
- You drink tea, and you love opera and rock;
- You stood by me when I needed it most;
- You put your arm around me in public;
- You smell wonderful;
- I know that if the boogeyman ever shows up and tries to come for me… you will tear him into millions of tiny pieces and scatter them to the four corners of the earth;
- You love my son;
- You’re willing to reflect and learn and grow;
- I can still make you blush;
- You’re different;
- You are the one who comforts me in the middle of the night;
- You humor me;
- I can’t resist your hair;
- You kiss me goodbye everyday;
- You crack me up harder than anyone else for reasons that would make no sense to anyone else;
- Stories about helpless people or animals overcoming great odds move you to tears;
- You created a space just for me… My paint room;
- You are genuinely interested in me;
- You smile with your whole face and light up a room;
- You will sit and listen to Smallest Child talk for hours;
- You are the most intelligent individual I have ever had the pleasure of knowing;
- You show compassion toward those in need;
- You’ve supported me through a period of growth even when you weren’t sure of the outcome;
- You hold me tight when I cry;
- You told me I’m beautiful;
- You let me thaw my frozen feet on the backs of your legs;
- You pretend right along with me that I’m perpetually only 29 years old;
- The sound of my snoring is actually comforting to you;
- Little kids are drawn to you like it’s the most natural thing in the world – you have “The Baby Fu”;
- You always encourage me to try new things;
- You think I’m smart enough to be a challenge to you;
- You know when to play it safe and can be prodded into taking a risk;
- My friends feel safe with you;
- The lines in your face and the way you shove your fingers in your hair are so, so sexy;
- You worry about people I care about;
- You love your siblings fiercely;
- You love me back;
Happy Birthday Mr. Amazing … I would have posted this on your actual birthday… but we are going to be on a plane!
What are you going to do next?? We’re going to Disneyland!!!!